3 Benefits of Toddlers’ Indoor Climbing Frames
For toddlers, climbing is a thrill! But for their parents, it can be a little nerve-racking to watch their little one suddenly balance on the back of the sofa. An indoor climbing frame provides your toddler with a fun alternative to climbing on furniture. In a safe way, the climbing frame develops your child’s gross motor skills, improves their body control, and boosts their confidence.
- Climbing frames also go by the name climbing triangles, climbing pyramids, or play towers.
- They are wooden structures made to satisfy children’s curiosity and need for climbing.
An indoor climbing frame helps your toddler develop:
- Great gross motor skills: by activating muscles, joints, and balance simultaneously.
- Better body control: the ability to respond appropriately to external impulses.
- A confident, can-do-attitude: “Yes! I made it to the top. Let’s try again!”
- For your child’s safety, choose a climbing frame with a robust structure and rounded edges.
What Exactly is an Indoor Climbing Frame?
They sometimes go by the name climbing triangles, climbing pyramids, or indoor Play Towers and they come in all shapes and sizes. Some are square-shaped, some are triangular, and some include a slide. The indoor climbing frame is a robust, wooden structure with several features to satisfy your child’s curiosity and need for climbing.
Children’s occupational therapist, Mette Vainer Wegloop, highlights the three main benefits of getting your toddler an indoor climbing frame.
1) Great for Gross Motor Skills
2) Better Body Control
3) A Real Confidence Booster
A Note on Safety
Always make sure your little one plays under adult supervision and plays with toys appropriate for their age. Most climbing frames are designed with rounded edges and elevated sides to support little children while they climb. It only increases the fun when siblings and playmates join in, so make sure you choose a robust structure which allows for more than one child to play at a time.
Meet our Team of Experts
One expert is an experienced family advisor who has met hundreds of Danish families. Another expert has dedicated his entire life to researching children's well-being and development through play. And some of the other experts specialise in children's motor skills, sensory integration, and learning. Together, they inspire us to provide your children with better sleep, develop them through play, and support them when they study.
At FLEXA Insight, you will find all the experts’ valuable insights, tips, and ideas.